Jane Ash PoitrasLiving in the Storm Too Long, 1992
- Who discovered America?
- If people were living here already, how does "discovery" apply?
- Can people really "own" land?
- Why did Poitras have problems with elders?
- What is the significance of 1992?
- What is the Law of the Seven Fires?
- What is a stereotype?
- What are popular culture stereotypes?
- How would life be different if the "discoverers" had adopted the First Nations' way of life?
- Consider some of the stereotypes you have either experienced or observed in your school, on television or in your personal life.
- How would you visually interpret these experiences? Maybe you have written something about these experiences and could use these writings to get you started.
- What medium would you use, paint, oil pastels, or collage? Would you incorporate found objects as Poitras has done?
- Jane Ash Poitras
- Racial Prejudice
- Indigenous relationship to the land
- Family History
- First Nations Art
- Native Arts
- Indigenous Storytelling/Digital
- History of Canadian Women