Linh LyOur Vietnamese Restaurants, 2005
Ly's conversations with the curator from the Glenbow reveal a great deal about cultural identity and the historical background of Vietnamese immigration to Canada. Both women immigrated to Canada from Vietnam at an early age.
- How does your family celebrate and document your culture?
- What is culture?
- What role does world history play in understanding cultures?
- Can you really understand a culture through its food?
- What would you discover about your culture through food?
- How far back can you document your family's history?
- Decide how you will document the cultural history of your family.
- Do a search to find out what was happening in history when your family first came to Canada.
- Did the events of this time period have any relevance on your family's immigration to Canada?
- Collect photographs and artifacts of your family to use in your documentation.
- Some options to consider when producing your documentation might be:
- shadow boxes
- Could you use the photos to create a collage or montage of your history?
- Could you use the images to create a painting of your history in the style of a mural?
- National Film Board of Canada
- Slide Show of Shadow Boxes
- Racial Prejudice