[ Project Plans | Essential
Questions | Knowledge Hunt | Glossary
| Links ]
Essential questions are the "big ideas" that are used
to engage students and reflect the core or the essence of the topic
being studied. Included are essential questions pertaining to each
theme area, as well as questions that relate to exploring the whole
Mavericks site. These questions can provide many possible
ideas as to how students can examine Alberta history.
Questions specific to Newcomers
- Will immigration change the culture of Alberta? (This was a
major worry for Albertans in the early 1900s)
- Why would immigrants come to Alberta?
- How did immigrants to Alberta choose to settle where they did?
- Why would immigrants leave their original homes to come to a
- Should we accept any and all immigrants if they want to come
- What would it be like to move to a new country?
- Do we treat all people equally?
- Should immigrants to Canada be forced to learn English?
- Should immigrants to Canada adopt Canadian traditions and put
aside their old ones?
- How does migration affect Canada and the countries immigrants
General questions that apply throughout