[ Project Plans | Essential
Questions | Knowledge Hunt | Glossary
| Links ]
Essential questions are the "big ideas" that are used
to engage students and reflect the core or the essence of the topic
being studied. Included are essential questions pertaining to each
theme area, as well as questions that relate to exploring the whole
Mavericks site. These questions can provide many possible
ideas as to how students can examine Alberta history.
Questions specific to Railways
- Why was the development of the railway so important to the story
- How did the building of the railway change Alberta and Canada?
- Was the treatment of the Chinese railway workers fair?
- Should Chinese railway workers be compensated for the "head
taxes" they had to pay?
- Should the ancestors of Chinese railway workers be compensated
for the "head taxes" they had to pay?
- How has transportation changed through time?
- Why do we travel on long journeys?
- How do we deal with being treated differently that other people
General questions that apply throughout