[ Project Plans | Essential
Questions | Knowledge Hunt | Glossary
| Links ]
Essential questions are the "big ideas" that are used
to engage students and reflect the core or the essence of the topic
being studied. Included are essential questions pertaining to each
theme area, as well as questions that relate to exploring the whole
Mavericks site. These questions can provide many possible
ideas as to how students can examine Alberta history.
Questions specific to Uninvited Guests
- Did the Uninvited Guests act like proper guests?
- Why do people go on great journeys or move to new places?
- Why do we explore?
- How has exploration changed? What/where do we explore now?
- How were the First Nation and European cultures different?
- How would Alberta be different if Europeans changed and accepted
the First Nations people's way of life?
- How should our nation's European explorers and settlers have
treated the First Nations people they encountered?
- How did the Uninvited Guests affect the First Nations people?
- Did the Mavericks truly believe they were "Albertans?"
- How do we record or document our travels? What do we leave behind?
- Why do we create maps? What do they tell us?
- How can we create a map of a place that has not been explored
- How important were maps during the early days of Canadian exploration?
- What do historical maps tell us about how people understood
their world at the time?
General questions that apply throughout