21st Century Learning: Links to Our Collection
The North-West Mounted Police: Policing the West
Soldiers and their stories come alive as the students discover how the North-West Mounted Police became such an important element of Canadian history.
This educator's package presents insightful information about Canada's first national police force: The North West Mounted Police. The information encourages students to examine artifacts from the Glenbow Museum's collection and connect them to the true stories, adventures and heroic feats the NWMP experienced throughout Canada.
For each package our team of curators and educators have selected additional artworks and artifacts from our online collection database that can be used in conjunction with the teacher's guide and lesson plan.
You can access all of the objects that were selected for this package by clicking here.
To view all the archival photographs related to this module, click this link here.
Included in this guide are:
- Information on the NWMP including high-resolution artifact photographs, online and print readings and resources.
- Lesson plans including discussions for looking at primary sources, curriculum connections and lesson plans for a variety of ages and abilities.
- Detailed listing of vocabulary and concepts.
- Suggested sources for further research and other information.
Table of contents
- History of Glenbow Museum
- Program purpose
- Educational guide purpose
- Lesson Plan
Recommended grades: 1-3
The Great March West:
New Beginings [567 K]
- Lesson Plan
Recommended grades: 4-12
The North West Mounted Police:
Recruitment [3.5 M]
- Game Elements
Gameboard [554 K]
Game Pieces [327 K]
- Archival Photographs [9.67 M]
- Acknowledgements [252 K]
- Readings and Resources [192 K]
- Full teaching package
Download the full package [4 M]
- Contributors [458 K]