[ Project Plans | Essential
Questions | Knowledge Hunt | Glossary
| Links ]
(Knowledge Hunt PDF without answers:)
A "Knowledge Hunt" is a short quiz that includes 10 knowledge-based
questions. These activities are meant to assist students in exploring
and quickly becoming familiar with one of the theme areas. They
may be used as a short, five-minute introduction to the content
and navigation of the site or even as an online, small-group scavenger
hunt. The Knowledge Hunts are available for teachers with or without
answers. The version without answers is also contained within Student
Resources or it may be printed off for student use.
As an introductory activity to the Mavericks: An Incorrigible
History of Alberta web site, students may take five to ten minutes
to become familiar with the site and answer the specific questions
they have been provided.
- When was Sir William Van Horne born?
- Where did Van Horne work when he was only 14 years old?
A. Telegraph office
- What was Van Horne's first act of business when he took over
A. Clear out corrupt railway personnel
- What did V.H. Secretan, CPR engineer and surveyor, call Van
A. The Czar of the CPR
- In what year did Van Horne accept an honorary knighthood?
- What did William Pearce study before becoming a surveyor?
- What were two of Pearce's main concerns when he worked for the
A. Conservation and irrigation
- What new national system did Pearce help to create?
A. The national park system
- What forced the government to reconsider Pearce's theories of
irrigation in the late 1880s?
A. A severe drought in southern Alberta
- Pearce's ideas on irrigation were not accepted until after his
death. When did he die?