[ Project Plans | Essential
Questions | Knowledge Hunt | Glossary
| Links ]
(Knowledge Hunt PDF without answers:)
A "Knowledge Hunt" is a short quiz that includes 10 knowledge-based
questions. These activities are meant to assist students in exploring
and quickly becoming familiar with one of the theme areas. They
may be used as a short, five-minute introduction to the content
and navigation of the site or even as an online, small-group scavenger
hunt. The Knowledge Hunts are available for teachers with or without
answers. The version without answers is also contained within Student
Resources or it may be printed off for student use.
As an introductory activity to the Mavericks: An Incorrigible
History of Alberta web site, students may take five to ten minutes
to become familiar with the site and answer the specific questions
they have been provided.
- What Fort did D.W. Davis help establish?
A. Fort Calgary
- What was the name of the wife of D.W. Davis?
A. Natoyist-siksina, or Revenge Walker
- In 1888, what newspaper did D.W. Davis and a group of partners
A. Calgary Herald
- How old was Mother Mary Greene when she came to Western Canada?
A. 40 years old
- Who promised to protect Mother Mary Greene during the North-West
Rebellion in March of 1885?
A. Louis Riel
- What was the name of the book Captain John Palliser published
A. Solitary Rambles and Adventures of a Hunter in the
- Where is the region known as Palliser's Triangle?
A. Southern Alberta (south of Red Deer) and into southwestern
- From what organization did Captain John Palliser win a gold
medal in 1859?
A. Royal Geographical Society
- What nickname did David Thompson earn due to his daily astronomical
A. Koo Koo Sint or "Star Gazer"
- How old was David Thompson when he left Britain for Canada?
A. 13 years old