[ Project Plans | Essential
Questions | Knowledge Hunt | Glossary
| Links ]
(Knowledge Hunt PDF without answers:)
A "Knowledge Hunt" is a short quiz that includes 10 knowledge-based
questions. These activities are meant to assist students in exploring
and quickly becoming familiar with one of the theme areas. They
may be used as a short, five-minute introduction to the content
and navigation of the site or even as an online, small-group scavenger
hunt. The Knowledge Hunts are available for teachers with or without
answers. The version without answers is also contained within Student
Resources or it may be printed off for student use.
As an introductory activity to the Mavericks: An Incorrigible
History of Alberta web site, students may take five to ten minutes
to become familiar with the site and answer the specific questions
they have been provided.
- Where did Stewart Herron buy a 960 acre ranch in 1905?
A. Okotoks, Alberta
- When did Calgary Petroleum Products Company Ltd. begin drilling
A. January 1913
- In 1959, how many acres of land did Dome purchase in Canada's
A. 2.2 million acres
- What nickname was Jack Gallagher known by?
A. Smilin' Jack
- What job was Charles Stalnaker known for doing?
A. Oil well shooter
- What explosive was used to shoot oil wells?
A. Nitroglycerine (nitro)
- As a subsurface stratigrapher, what did Helen Belyea study?
A. She studied rock layers hidden deep beneath the earth's
- Helen Belyea tried to create a picture of how Alberta looked
– how long ago?
A. 350 million years ago
- In what year did Peter Lougheed become the Premier of Alberta?
- What federal program enacted in 1980 did Peter Lougheed fight
A. National Energy Program